Warning: there is likely to be a large amount of traffic disruption in the Gilesgate area over the coming weeks.
Gilesgate roundabout is having traffic lights installed, which means that traffic is likely to be disrupted in the Durham area. This is likely to include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Gilesgate Bank will be closed ALL DAY on Sundays
- The A690 will be operating with one lane in each direction and a “merge in turn” between 9am and 3pm every weekday – the last time this happened, Gilesgate queued up to beyond B&Q, and the jam for the A690 ended up in Neville’s Cross!
- allow extra time for your journeys, and, if needed follow the following diversions to cross Durham:
SOUTH: A167, Potter’s Bank, Stockton Road, Mill Lane, A181
NORTH: Chester Low Road, Cocken Road, Pithouse Lane, Station Road, A690
- Remember that for a “merge in turn”, you drive all the way to the cones closing your lane and then enter the next available space – lots of people seem not to know how to do this!
- Keep an eye on Mallard Days Facebook page – facebook.com/mallarddays – for latest updates to start and finish times for sessions.
- Monitor www.durham.gov.uk/gilesgate or follow #gilesgate for the latest travel info.
Update 26 / 01 / 2016: Currently, the works are being conducted to minimize traffic disruption. Please ensure that you check delays on your route before you travel via the websites above.