Mallard Days Educational Services is organised and co-ordinated by Richard Hornby, who, alongside providing quality tuition in Maths and Science himself, has brought together a small team of tutors to provide quality science and maths tuition to students of all ages and abilities.
Richard J. L Hornby
Tuition provided online
Specialisms: GCSE, IGCSE and A-level Physics, Combined Science and Maths, Mental Health First Aid
Qualifications and Experience: MSci (Hons) Physics and Astronomy, PGCE Secondary Science (Dunelm), MInstP, ACIEA
Richard has a masters degree (MSci) in Physics and Astronomy, and, with a PGCE in Science Education, has all the attributes necessary to aid your learning. This will allow you to develop the necessary skills to understand Science and Maths at Key Stages 3, 4, 5 and above.
Richard is a member of several professional bodies, including Association for Science Education, and the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors.
As an examiner for large UK and international Examination Boards, he can confidently tutor you in a way which will allow you to reach your maximum potential. He also supports the other members of the partnership with their students and provides them with regular professional development.
His research interests are astrophysics, educational psychology, and mentoring students with learning difficulties and mental health issues. He is also a mentor and Senior Common Room member at Van Mildert College, Durham University.
Richard is a long-standing examiner, and has received the 2017 and 2019 JCQ awards for continuing services to examining.
We sometimes ask other experienced colleagues to help us with some of our more interesting and activities, and also give us a hand behind the scenes.
In the past, these have included:
- Victoria Bending – Physics support
- Angelina Anderson-Groves – Primary education support
- Maria and Marylin Burton – Accounts and administration.
- Ruth Whelan – Biology and Chemistry tuition.
- Georgina Uttley – Chemistry support.
- Hannah Wynn – Geology and Earth Sciences support, Primary education.
- Nicolle Finch – Photography, First Aid, Administration.
- Simon Armstrong, Beth Holmes, Tim Wiles, Jamal Kinsella and Rachel O’Leary – Outreach and Science in the Community activities.
- Ben Thompson (a.k.a. Cosmosquark) – Web server management.