This week brings us Stargazing Live on BBC TV. In three episodes, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week, Dara O’Briain and Brian Cox discuss the northern lights, being an astronaut, and looking for undiscovered galaxies. All of the TV episodes start at 9pm on BBC2.
Unfortunately, this year, the BBC haven’t chosen to run an event in the North East. However, a large number of local astronomical societies have stepped up to the plate, running events as follows:
- Northumberland Astronomical Society – Wednesday at Doxford Hall, Alnwick SOLD OUT
- Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society – Thursday at Mickleton Village Hall, near Barnard Castle
- Sunderland Astronomical Society – Friday and Saturday at Washington Wildlife Centre
- Cleveland and Darlington Astronomical Society – Friday at Wynyard Planetarium
- South Shields Astronomical Society – Saturday at Souter Lighthouse
- RSPB Saltholme – Saturday at RSBP Salthome
Of course, if you’re thinking of going to any of these, please check with the venue (linked where possible!) before you set off, because as with all astronomical events, they can be very weather dependent!
Finally, from the internet…
I was looking on the internet, and found this video. Taken from BBC’s “Science Club” series, it provides a brief history of Physics in just over four minutes – great for that coffee break! (Source details)
PS. Please remember that there are no scheduled tuition sessions from 11am on Friday 10 January until 4.30pm on Monday 13 January!